Dental Cleanings & Oral Exams
Dental Exam & Cleaning
Regular dental cleaning and oral exams are extremely important for your overall health. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease or periodontitis, has been linked to heart disease, dementia, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and premature birth, so it’s important to catch any oral-health issues before they become problems. Generally, you’ll want to have your teeth cleaned and examined at least twice a year (every six months).
Prophylaxis, commonly known simply as dental cleaning, makes sure your teeth and gums are clean. Our hygienists perform this service gently for your comfort and thoroughly for your health.
Cleaning is extremely important as it keeps your mouth and teeth healthy. Dental cleaning is vital to preventing gingivitis, gum disease, tooth decay or loss and more. During a cleaning, your hygienist will:
- Take x-rays (if necessary): We usually take bite-wing x-rays once a year and do a full-mouth x-ray every three to five years. We may recommend additional x-rays depending on your needs.
- Remove plaque: Plaque, a sticky combination of saliva, food particles and fluids, contains bacteria and coats teeth. Plaque can be found above and below the gum line.
- Remove tartar: When plaque hardens, it becomes tartar. Officially called calculus, tartar forms when plaque is left on a tooth for too long. Because It firmly attaches to teeth above and below the gum line, we need special dental tools to remove it.
- Polish your teeth: Polishing will get rid of any missed plaque while removing stains and brightening your smile.
- Floss: Flossing ensures nothing between your teeth was missed. It’s also a good refresher for proper technique.
- Give advice: If we notice something, whether teeth you tend to miss while brushing, or you’re brushing too hard, or if we see anything else, we’ll mention it to help you have the best oral care at home as well as when you visit.
Following your cleaning, Dr. Sabaté will do a thorough exam, during which you can expect:
- X-rays review: We’ll tell you what we see and discuss any concerns or treatment needs.
- Oral cancer screening: We’ll check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissue and gums.
- Gum disease evaluation: We’ll check for signs of periodontal disease in the bones around your teeth and your gums.
- Tooth decay evaluation: We’ll check each tooth for signs of decay.
- Existing restorations exam: We’ll make sure all your current fillings, crowns, bridges and more are in good condition.
We know some people don’t look forward to a dental visit, but we do everything we can to make sure you’re comfortable. If you or your child are nervous or are otherwise uncomfortable, we can help. Blankets and anesthesia are just a few of the ways we can help you relax. Let us know and we’ll be happy to discuss.
Dental Exam & Cleaning FAQs
We’re Ready to Help You
At Cajon Dental, everything we do is centered on you, your health and your experience.